NeoOffice 1.2 Release Notes
 Archived Release Notes for NeoOffice 1.2
To download the the latest version of NeoOffice, visit the NeoOffice Downloads page. Note that NeoOffice 1.2.2 is equal to NeoOffice 1.2 with Patch-6, as listed in the release information below, except that Patch-6 does not contain the work-around for the Apple Installer bug.
 Patches for NeoOffice 1.2
1.2 Patch-6: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Aqua menus performance improvements - This patch includes more significant performance improvements in Aqua menus.
1.2 Patch-5: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Freezing when autosave dialog is displayed - For some users, clicking on the Aqua menubar at the same as the autosave dialog is displayed caused NeoOffice to freeze. This bug has been fixed in this patch.
- Crash when serial printing letters - When performing a mail merge in NeoOffice, users have the option to print each letter as a separate "serial" print job. Enabling this option caused NeoOffice to crash after the printing the first letter. This bug has been fixed in this patch.
- Crash when searching a document - In certain rare cases, performing a search using NeoOffice's "find and replace" dialog caused NeoOffice to crash. This bug has been fixed in this patch.
- Aqua menus performance improvements - When clicking on the Aqua menubar, NeoOffice must perform several steps before it opens the first menu. While these steps are necessary, on machines with heavy CPU usage these steps can cause a several second delay between clicking on the Aqua menubar and opening of the first menu. In this patch, some of these steps have been optimized or are now performed when a document is first opened in order to reduce this delay slightly.
1.2 Patch-4: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Fixes an issue where parentheses in Hebrew were incorrectly reversed
- Fixes a bug where some users see huge CPU usage even after all windows are closed and which can cause NeoOffice to use an excessive and unnecessary amount of CPU and memory
1.2 Patch-3: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Dynamic detection of your machine's installed memory - many users that have lots of memory installed on their machines (i.e. 1 GB or more) have commented that NeoOffice's protective measures for machines with less memory limits NeoOffice's ability to use the extra memory that is available memory on their machines. With this patch, if your machine has more than 512 MB of memory, NeoOffice will increase the maximum memory that Java can use in direct proportion to the amount of memory.
1.2 Patch-2: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Saving when Java memory is low - Because the available memory for Java is fixed at startup, NeoOffice takes protective measures to prevent crashing when there is not enough Java memory available to load an image. However, these protective measures had the side effect of stripping out any unloadable images when the document was saved. This has been fixed in this patch.
- Crash at startup when main volume is a UFS file system - One of the shell commands that NeoOffice uses to create default user preference files was found to fail when a machine's main volume is UFS format instead HFS+ format. This has been fixed in this patch.
- Hanging when quitting - Some rare cases of hanging when trying to quit NeoOffice have been fixed in this patch.
- Drop down lists appear behind parent window - In some windows, a few drop down lists were found that appear behind the parent window instead of in front of the parent window. This has been fixed in this patch.
1.2 Patch-1: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Hanging when clicking on the native Aqua menubar when NeoOffice's autosave feature tries to save a document.
- Hanging when trying to quit NeoOffice while NeoOffice is printing.
 New Features in NeoOffice 1.2
If you have not downloaded a release of NeoOffice since version 1.1, there are dozens of new features in NeoOffice 1.2. Some of the most significant include:
- Decreased memory and CPU usage
- Reduced time before the splash screen appears
- Improved performance in some areas, especially drawing
- Uses Java 1.4.2
- Ability to print embedded EPS files
- Numerous printing fixes
- Improved support for international keyboard layouts
- Font-handling improvements
- Enhanced copy and paste support
- Better support for multiple monitors
- Improved compatibility with voice dictation software (iListen, ViaVoice)
- Support for OpenOffice.org accessibility features
- Based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 codebase
- Support for reading OpenDocument (aka OpenOffice.org 2.0) file formats
- Spotlight support for OpenDocument formats via NeoLight 1.1
- Requires Mac OS X 10.3 or newer
- Due to our limited resources and the bugginess of Java 1.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.x, we are no longer able to support Mac OS X 10.2.