NeoOffice 1.2 Beta Release Notes
 Archived Release Notes for NeoOffice 1.2 Beta
To download the the latest version of NeoOffice, visit the NeoOffice Downloads page.
 Patches for NeoOffice 1.2 Beta
1.2 Beta Patch-5: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Fixed Java crashing bug - On rare occasions, Java would crash when updating Aqua menus.
- Fixed crashing when closing or saving a document with "uncommitted" text - When inputting text, Mac OS X does not automatically commit or delete uncommitted text. Closing or saving a document with uncommitted text (e.g. pressing Option-e on an English keyboard or pressing several characters on a Japanese keyboard) can cause NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code to crash so this patch removes any uncommitted text when closing or saving a document.
- NeoOffice will now display the NeoOffice donation page - Because NeoOffice donations are lagging behind the NeoOffice 2.0 and Mac Intel work that our users are requesting, starting with this patch NeoOffice will now display the NeoOffice donation page.
- If you have already donated to NeoOffice, this change is not directed at you. Instead, the purpose of this change is to raise awareness that NeoOffice is entirely funded by donations. If only 0.5% of the 100,000 users that download NeoOffice every month donate an average of $10 each, we will be able to fully fund the NeoOffice 2.0 and Mac Intel work in 2006.
1.2 Beta Patch-4: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Fixed minor Aqua menu bugs. In the last patch, significant Aqua menu performance improvements were made but these improvements caused some minor new bugs that have been fixed in this patch.
- Better memory usage. In this patch, we have switched back to using Java's parallel garbage collector as we have found that it does a much better job of preventing excessive memory usage than Java's default garbage collector.
- Fixed handling of folders and files with non-ASCII names that reside on a remote, non-Mac OS X machine. Previously, strange behaviors were reported for users that have such folders and files that are NFS mounted from Linux or Solaris servers.
1.2 Beta Patch-3: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Improved Aqua menu performance. Under Mac OS X 10.4, many users noticed frequent redrawing of the Aqua menubar when using certain NeoOffice functions. In this patch, this unnecessary redrawing has been eliminated.
- Fixed Aqua menu crashing bugs. Some users experienced frequent, random crashing in Java's Aqua menu code. In this patch, we have reorganized the Aqua menu code to avoid triggering the Java bug that causes this crashing.
- Fixed multiple monitor bugs for users with monitors of different sizes.
1.2 Beta Patch-2: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Improved the speed for finding a font when the current font cannot display text. This "font fallback" process occurs very frequently when displaying text in non-Western European languages such as Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, etc.
- Fixed full-width justification of Arabic text when NeoOffice uses the "font fallback" mechanism to render Arabic text.
- Fixed the detection of Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese locales on Mac OS X 10.4.
 New Features in NeoOffice 1.2 Beta
If you have not downloaded a release of NeoOffice since version 1.1, there are dozens of new features in NeoOffice 1.2 Beta. Some of the most significant include:
- Decreased memory and CPU usage
- Reduced time before the splash screen appears
- Improved performance in some areas, especially drawing
- Uses Java 1.4.2
- Ability to print embedded EPS files
- Numerous printing fixes
- Improved support for international keyboard layouts
- Font-handling improvements
- Enhanced copy and paste support
- Improved compatibility with voice dictation software (iListen, ViaVoice)
- Support for OpenOffice.org accessibility features
- Based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 codebase
- Support for reading OpenDocument (aka OpenOffice.org 2.0) file formats
- Spotlight support for OpenDocument formats via NeoLight 1.1
- Requires Mac OS X 10.3 or newer
- Due to our limited resources and the bugginess of Java 1.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.x, we are no longer able to support Mac OS X 10.2