NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta Release Notes
 Archived Release Notes for NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta
To download the the latest version of NeoOffice, visit the NeoOffice Downloads page.
 Patches for NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta
Beta Patch-11: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- A crashing bug was found in "Patch-10". "Patch-11" fixes that bug.
Beta Patch-10: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Inter-application drag-and-drop support
- Fixes for 13 bugs, including:
- Improved text drawing speed - The text kerning improvements added in "Patch-8" caused some slowdown in text drawing speed. This patch restores text drawing speed to pre-"Patch-8" levels.
- Autocomplete feature now works with accented characters - This bug, which caused word autocompletion to overwrite accented characters, has been fixed.
Beta Patch-9: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Fixes for regressions that appeared in "Patch-8" such as the "compressed text" bug (i.e. bug 580).
Beta Patch-8: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Neo/J now behaves more like other Mac applications and will not quit when you press the red "close window" button on the last document window.
- Text copy and paste bug - The previous patch had a bug that caused Neo/J to only copy half the highlighed characters text. This bug has been fixed.
- Better text kerning - The text layout code in Neo/J has been improved to display text to more closely match the kerning in other Mac OS X applications.
- Floating windows always stay on top - In previous patches, floating windows would sometimes fall behind the document window. Neo/J now detects this and will automatically bring floating windows to the front.
Beta Patch-7: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Overlapping characters - When using some custom fonts, certain character sequences would be combined into a single character. This bug has been fixed.
- Long paragraphs - Sometimes characters at the end of long paragraphs (e.g. more than 1000 words) would kern incorrectly. This bug has been fixed.
- Waking from sleep - On some machines, Neo/J would prevent a sleeping machine from waking. This bug has been fixed.
Beta Patch-6: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Upgrade to the latest libwpd and writerperfect releases
- "About NeoOffice/J" and "Preferences" now present in the "NeoOffice/J" menu
- Performance enhancements and 36 bugs reported since Patch-5; the most important bugs are listed below:
- Infinite scrolling - Some users reported that, in some cases, scrolling could enter an infinite loop. This bug has been fixed.
- Smoother text input - Text input for languages that use input methods (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, etc.) now more accurately display committed and uncommitted text. Also, moving the cursor within uncommitted text is now supported.
- Faster text drawing - Several users discovered that ATSUI was restricting Neo/J performance. To enhance performance, this patch caches recently drawn text so that the time spent in Mac OS X's time consuming text layout functions is kept to a minimum.
- New crashing bugs - After Mac OS X 10.3.8 was released, several users began experiencing crashing bugs that we had not seen in earlier Mac OS X updates. These new crashing bugs have been fixed.
Beta Patch-5: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Help>Registration now points to http://trinity.neooffice.org
- 55 bugs reported since Patch-4; the most important bugs are listed below:
- The "silent crashing" bug has been fixed. This bug, which is a bug in Java 1.3.1 on Panther, would unpredictably terminate Neo/J. This bug, which has existed since Panther was first released, was most likely to occur for users editing large presentation files.
- Several Unicode font kerning problems have been fixed.
- Various Aqua menu bugs that were causing some menus to disappear have been fixed.
- A bug that was causing modal dialog windows and presentation windows to sometimes get stuck behind a document window has been fixed.
Beta Patch-4: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- bug 319
- bug 322
Beta Patch-3: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Pressing the Command key while dragging the mouse will copy text instead of moving it.
- Menu memory leaks in OpenOffice.org 1.1.3 and Neo/J have been eliminated.
- Minimized windows will be expanded when the Neo/J Dock icon is clicked like other Mac OS X applications.
- Neo/J's patch update check will now only occur once a week instead of every time Neo/J is started.
Beta Patch-2: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- 244 - cmd-c (copy) causes Neo to stall
- 297 - Wrong spacing around ligatures
- 301 - Beta 1.1 + first patch crashing
 New Features in NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta
If you have not downloaded a release of NeoOffice/J since version 0.8.4, there are dozens of new features in 1.1 Beta. Some of the most significant include:
- Based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.3 codebase
- Right-to-left and complex text layout (e.g., Arabic, Hebrew, Thai)
- Faster program startup
- Native Aqua menus
- New professional-quality splash screen, application and document Finder icons, and other artwork
- Localized user interfaces for 40 languages
- Mouse wheel support
- Text drag-and-drop support
- Improved PDF export
- Import of WordPerfect documents
- Support for Macintosh file aliases in open and save dialogues
- Automatic notification of new patches and versions
- Patches available as standard Mac OS X installer packages