NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate Release Notes
 Archived Release Notes for NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate
To download the the latest version of NeoOffice, visit the NeoOffice Downloads page.
 Patches for NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate
Release Candidate Patch-8: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Fixes a minor printing bug.
- Automatic checking for patches has been disabled by default, since NeoOffice/J 1.1 has become relatively stable and future development efforts will be focused on Aqua widgets and will produce new patches less frequently.
Release Candidate Patch-7: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- "Quickstart" menu items now in Dock - In "Patch-5", the ability to close all Neo/J windows was added. That patch added several new menu items to the "NeoOffice/J" menu. In this patch, these new menu items are also available in Neo/J's Dock icon menu.
- Arabic kashida justification - Previously, Neo/J did not add kashidas in full-justified Arabic text and, instead, Neo/J would just widen the spaces between words. In this patch, kashidas are inserted between the appropriate characters and the spaces between words are not widened.
Release Candidate Patch-6: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Closing the last Neo/J document with the Command-W keystroke will no longer display an empty window (previously this only worked for clicking on the red "close window" globe.
- The fix for the "crashes after displaying native print dialogs" bug in Patch-5 can cause scaling to change between pages when a document is printed. This bug was reported and fixed this morning so I have released NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate "Patch-6" with the fix.
Release Candidate Patch-5: The new changes included in this patch are listed below:
- Closing the last Neo/J document will no longer display an empty window. With this patch, Neo/J will stay running with an empty menubar after closing the last document.
- After closing the last document, you can open a document without having to relaunch Neo/J by opening a file from the Finder or by selecting one of the following localized menu items in the "NeoOffice/J" menu:
- Text Document
- From Template
- Open Document
- 10 bugs reported against Patch-4, including:
- Hyphenation between ligatures - When a word was hyphenated between the letters of a ligature, the ligature would be superimposed over the hyphen and a space would be left at the beginning of the next line. This bug has been fixed.
- Java 1.5 on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - For some users, installation of Java 1.5 would cause Neo/J to not be able to load Java 1.3.1 and Neo/J would crash. This bug has been fixed.
- Crashes after displaying native print dialogs - In certain cases, Neo/J would crash after displaying the native "Print" or "Page Setup" dialog. This bug has been fixed.
Release Candidate Patch-4: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Installation on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" - Some users have found that installing Tiger on their machine causes the "tar" command to be deleted. Without this command, both the Neo/J patch installer and Neo/J itself would not work correctly. This problem has been fixed by making Neo/J no longer use the tar command.
- Document list in the "Window" menu - Under certain circumstances, selecting a document in the Window menu would not work properly. This bug has been fixed.
- Transparent 3D images - When Neo/J's OpenGL support is turned on, transparent 3D images would not be drawn correctly. This bug has been fixed.
- Spotlight Integration on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" - Also included in this patch is the NeoLight Spotlight plugin. NeoLight is a metadata importer for NeoOffice/J and OpenOffice.org 1.x formatted documents. It allows for searching and indexing of these documents based upon standard OpenOffice.org metadata and textual content, allowing for Neo/J and OpenOffice.org to be integrated directly with the Mac OS X 10.4 Spotlight environment. When you install "Patch-4" on Tiger, the NeoLight Spotlight plugin will automatically be installed and activated.
Release Candidate Patch-3: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- 6 bugs reported against Patch-2, including:
- Right-to-left text - Neo/J did not handle intermixed right-to-left and left-to-right text. This bug has been fixed.
- Random crashing - A memory leak in Neo/J that was causing random crashing after using Neo/J for long periods. This bug has been fixed.
Release Candidate Patch-2: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- OpenOffice.org issued a fix for a security vulnerability that exists in all versions of OpenOffice.org. Since NeoOffice/J is based on OpenOffice.org, Release Candidate "Patch-2", which includes the fix for this vulnerability, was released.
- Installation directory can be moved - Previously, moving your Neo/J installation could cause error messages when saving files. In this patch, Neo/J will update your user preferences if it detects that your Neo/J installation has been moved since the last time that you ran Neo/J.
- OpenOffice 1.1.4 macro errors - OpenOffice 1.1.4 on Mac OS X has a bug that causes all occurrences of "Array()" in macros to cause an error. This patch fixes this OpenOffice.org bug.
Release Candidiate Patch-1a: The bugs fixed by this patch are listed below:
- Indic text (e.g. Devanagari and Gujurati) is now supported - This patch adds support for character reordering which is required to properly render Indic text.
- System colors are used - Previously, hard-coded background, text, and highlight colors were used. With this patch, Neo/J now uses the colors set in the System Preferences application.
- 12 other bugs reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta or Release Candidate
- A scrolling bug/crash in Release Candidate Patch-1 (Release Candidate Patch-1 was pulled shortly after it was discovered)
 New Features in NeoOffice/J 1.1 Release Candidate
If you have not downloaded a release of NeoOffice/J since version 0.8.4, there are dozens of new features in 1.1 Release Candidate. Some of the most significant include:
- Based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 codebase
- Right-to-left and complex text layout (e.g., Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Hindi)
- Faster program startup
- Native Aqua menus
- New professional-quality splash screen, application and document Finder icons, and other artwork
- Localized user interfaces for 40 languages
- Mouse wheel support
- Text drag-and-drop support
- Improved PDF export
- Import of WordPerfect documents
- Support for Macintosh file aliases in open and save dialogues
- Automatic notification of new patches and versions
- Patches available as standard Mac OS X installer packages
- Drag-and-drop between NeoOffice/J and other applications
- Does not quit when clicking the red "close" widget on the last document window
- Support for Eudora, Entourage, and Mail as external mailer applications