NeoOffice Writer is a powerful opensource word processor able to handle everything from simple school reports to the more complicated needs of businesses. With its built-in Microsoft Office filters, NeoWriter can open, edit, and save your Word documents.
Writer is integrated into NeoOffice. This allows easy incorporation of spreadsheets from NeoCalc or drawings from NeoDraw in your NeoWriter documents.
As with the other components of NeoOffice, Writer supports writing in a wide range of languages and scripts, including support for right-to-left writing direction and other complex text layout systems.
 Tips and Hints in the Wiki
Note that additional tips can be found on the New Articles Needed page, which contains links to stub pages and/or threads in trinity that need to be developed into full blown articles
 Working With (Grid-like) Tables
- Performing calculations in a table within a text document
- Importing a Calc Sheet into a Writer Table
- Exploiting Calc's Consecutive Fill Down in Writer Tables
 Numbering Pages, Lines, Lists etc.
- How to Add Page Numbers
- Line Numbering in a Writer Document
- How to miss out a number in a list
- Repairing Broken Numbering
 Indexes, Tables of Contents and Cross-References
- Creating an Index
- Creating a Table of Contents
- References in NeoOffice Writer
- References in a Master Document
 Miscellaneous Tips
- Using AutoTexts
- Inserting a Chart from NeoOffice Calc
- Displaying and editing several pages in the same window
- Using Fields Without Data Sources
- Guide to Outlining
- Inserting an Image Behind Text
- Using a Master Document
 External Writer Tips
Writing Vertical Text
Printing More Than One Record on One Sheet of Paper (an article by Solveig Haugland)
Using the Bibliography Feature
Creating interactive forms with OpenOfice.org Writer Creating an interactive quiz form in Writer.
Creating Forms in Open Office (Discusses creating XML forms for data entry.)
Skip the input fields -- Make life easier with the Writer XML Forms (An article/tutorial by Solveig Haugland)
 Lists and Numbering
- Four articles by Solveig Haugland;
- Using Fields Based on Jean Weber's technique
- Restarting Numbering An older article; also uses fields.
- OpenOffice.org Lists A good intro to using Writers lists and styles features. Part 1 of 2
- Using List Styles Part 2 of 2
- Automatically Number Headings from Fosswire.com.
 Documentation and User Guides
 Sources for Writer Templates
Be sure to also see the list on template packages on the Editing Default Styles and Using Templates page. May of the sites and packages listed there include Writer templates along with templates for other modules. The templates and template packages listed below are specific to Writer.
- Screenplay templates in sxw format, the format used by OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice 1.x. Newer versions of NeoOffice (and OpenOffice.org) can read these files.