|Warning: This web page is maintained by a small number of volunteers, so this page may contain old or incorrect information. If the information on this web page does not work or does not make sense, please visit the main NeoOffice website or the NeoOffice online support forums for the most current information.|
Lion Upgrade Issues
This page describes potential issues related to installing or upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. These issues are primarily issues with the Mac OS X itself or third-party software, but we are providing this page as a service to NeoOffice users.
 Java Download and Installation Steps
If you are installing NeoOffice for the first time on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you will likely see a dialog that says you need Java to run NeoOffice.
Starting in Lion, Apple only installs Java when an application like NeoOffice first tries to use Java. So, when you first install NeoOffice, Mac OS X displays the dialog that you see.
To install Java, launch NeoOffice and when the Mac OS X dialog appears, press the Install button. Mac OS X will then download and install Java directly from Apple. After installing Java, Mac OS X will automatically relaunch NeoOffice.
If you do not feel comfortable downloading Java using Apple's dialog, you can download Java directly from Apple from the following URL:
 Solved Issues
Below is a list of issues that have been fixed. You get the fixes for these issues by installing all Mac OS X system updates and installing NeoOffice 3.2 or later:
- Copy, paste, drag, and drop might fail - NeoOffice's copy, paste, drag, and drop code was originally written several years ago and at that time the NeoOffice developers wrote the code using the old Mac OS X "ScrapManager" and "DragManager" functions. While these functions are still available in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple has marked them as deprecated so the NeoOffice developers reimplemented all of NeoOffice's copy, paste, drag, and drop code to use the newer "NSPasteboard" functions in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 3 and NeoOffice 3.2 Beta.
- Text layout might cause NeoOffice to crash - In order to support Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, the NeoOffice developers had to use Mac OS X's older "ATSUI" text layout functions and were not able to use the newer "CoreText" functions that Apple added in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. While these functions are still available in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple has marked them as deprecated so the NeoOffice developers reimplemented all of the text layout code using the "CoreText" functions in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta.
- Menubar does not update - Starting in Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2, the Mac OS X menubar would no longer update when opening a new NeoOffice document or switching between different NeoOffice documents. This problem was fixed in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta Patch 3.
- Native comboboxes and listboxes do not look correct - Starting in Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2, comboboxes and listboxes are drawn in the wrong position or focus ring. This problem was fixed in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta Patch 3.
- Native Open and Save dialogs may cause NeoOffice to hang - Starting in Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2, displaying any of the native Open or Save dialogs would cause NeoOffice to hang. This problem was fixed in NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 2.